Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Red Maple Cottage Kitchen

Yay! for power. We got our power back this morning!!!! I was sooo excited, but unfortunately the internet is still down. :(

So, I am back at Red Maple Cottage to check in with you all. How is every one? I hope everyone is having a sparkling day!!

Today, let's take a tour of the kitchen at RMC. It is right off the living room. come on'.
There are so many mom painted pieces in here. This is were I learned to cook. I have been cooking since I was 8 years old. I love trying new recipes. I started baking (from scratch) at age 10. Enough about me, back to the kitchen. Lets talk about that island.
It's really a dresser! Yup, mom made it. Take ordinary dresser, paint it white. Buy multi-layered plywood at Home Depot (measured to fit dresser and hang about 3/4 of a foot off the back.) Screw plywood to dresser. Paint plywood black for base coat. Sponge on browns and beige colors until desired marble look.
Finish it off with a bar top finish ( available at Home Depot or most paint stores).









Add hooks for potholders.


And a magazine rack for cook books. I know you noticed the stools in last picture.
These were plain wooden stools. Mom painted them. Aren't they pretty?

She used the same marble technique on the beverage bar.
The microwave cart is different though.

She painted a rooster on the side and tiled the top.

These are the same tiles as the back splash.
The Garbage can on the right, was on outdoor garbage. Picasso the puggle used to get into the garbage and knock it over. He can't knock this wooden one over.
So she painted it red with a topiary tree. I am really surprised the isn't a rooster on this, but there is on the bread box.
If you couldn't tell, mom likes roosters, and sunflowers, and red maple trees.

This is the hand painted border mom did on one wall of her kitchen. Near the window that looks out over the red maples.

This window used to look out at the red maple trees. I say used to because the storm split both of them. :(
So let's just close the shudders and not look at the damage.
Yes, she painted these too.

That the kitchen at RMC. Thank you for stopping by. You can head out the back door, near the beverage bar.
What? You expected a plain wooden door?


One thing mom taught me : if you can jazz it up, go for it!


6 comments:

  1. How charming! I love your Mom's roos and of course those painted country stools are fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!I see TALENT written all over the place! You have a very special gift....something God skipped right over me!lol. I am so happy you finally have power!!!!! Enjoy everything that power has to offer you tonight! And hopefully you will really enjoy the cheaper electric bill this month. =) Have a great rest of the week!!!!!

    Many Blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Kitchen Island is Spectacular!!! I'm your newest follower and would love for you to follow me, too on your next visit!!!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
    OOH! AND, I'm your newest follower! ;)
    www.betweenuandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many clever ideas in your mom's kitchen. I would LOVE an island in my kitchen, this is a good idea and do-able, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the island!! You are a genious!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...